my first garden

my first garden

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Afternoon spent at J&L Garden Center

Last night my husband and I went to dinner with some lovely friends. They talked about how excited they were to read my blog. I instantly felt pressure but reassured myself that in the long run this blog is only to help me become a better gardener.. not a writer. :)
Our lovely friends gave me some wonderful advice last night. They told me to go to J&L Garden Center in Bountiful, UT and that they will answer any question I might have and also carry wonderful starters and organic fertilizer for my garden. So my adventure today was exactly that. Oh, and while our friends and I were talking about what I had started from seeds in my basement my husband pulled out a list and told me he wanted me to plant theses certain vegetables too... multi-colored carrots, kohlrabi, peas and something else... can't remember. I told him that we will have to get starters for those. I was hoping to do everything from seed but I guess I will bend a little.
Back to my adventure... I went to J&L Garden Center and they answered every question I had:
Q. -When do I take my carrots outside that I have started inside?
A. -This week will work but make sure you harden them off.

Q. -I'm trying to have the most organic garden possible. What fertilizer should I use in my garden?
A. -Dr. Earth

organic-2-starterfertilizer.jpg

Q.-What do I do about snails in my garden?
A. -You make a snail trap using a milk jug and snail pellets. (they actually showed be an example and gave me step by step written instructions on how to make one)

I checked out what they had in organic starters and ended up buying spinach, kohlrabi, and broccoli.
While I was checking out with my starters and organic fertilizer they handed me a Dr. Earth Gardening Guide magazine and a vegetable seed planting chart. I would say my adventure today was a success!
Thank you to my lovely friends for your wonderful advice last night!





1 comment:

  1. i'm going to go there next week. just because of this post.

    ReplyDelete