my first garden

my first garden

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

the story behind the beginning

I have never been a good writer but today I decided to start a blog about my organic garden. Please don't judge me on my writing just my gardening skills. :)

The truth is, I'm not starting this blog because I know everything about organic gardening... I only know bits and pieces because of the internet, blogs and one class I attended. This blog is designed to keep record of my garden, share any information I might have with other people and to get advice from my fellow gardening friends.

This will be my second time attempting a garden. Last year was a success in my eyes for a first time gardener. I grew green and yellow squash, corn, tomatoes and strawberries. I also planted peas, green beans and spinach but they did not survive. This year I have been doing much more research and have actually taken a class. I decided to start everything from seed this year. I know.. sounds crazy but was inspired at the class I took. I went and bought all the supplies and started a little greenhouse in my basement in our storage room. (pics to come soon) I should mention in this blog that my neighbor is helping me with all this. He does not care as much about everything being organic like I do or the fact I'm starting it all from seed. He is willing to help me turn on and off the lights when I'm out of town and will help me weed and water the garden once the plants make it outside. And of course will help me eat all the yummy veggies that we get. I feel very lucky to have someone help me in this fun adventure.

I just got back from Home Depot.. I will be transplanting my tomato plants into bigger pots today.

P.S. If you are wondering... you can transplant spring flowers from your back yard to your front yard after they have already come up. :)

1 comment: